Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thinking Positively About Happy Things Will Help You Stay Active

So, it's cold out. It's dreary. How in the world am I going to convince myself to go out of the house and workout?

I guess I will try to think positively, as a news study says that it will help me get motivated to be physically active. The study was published in the Archives of Internal Medicine and I read about it here on Medical News Today.

Just by reading "a script" that told them to think of something that made themselves feel good or a big event they have enjoyed in the past, study subjects worked out more overall. The positive affect group walked an average of 3.4 miles a week more than the control group, according to the article.

The script tells people to think about small things that make them feel good when they wake up in the morning (like babies in carriages). It says to notice those things throughout your day. Also, when you are faced with a tough challenge (like getting out in the dark/cold winter to work out), think of proud moments in your life, (like getting a promotion).

I hope this works, as I need all sorts of different motivations lately to keep me going. I don't know about you but I am so tired all the time in the winter!


You know you like my cold running gear.














How do you get yourself out of the house to run or workout when it is cold out?

8 comments:

  1. I love your cold weather running gear. :)

    And I don't have any good advice for you on this one - I usually take it to the treadmill when it's super cold. I'm a wimp, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sad thing is, cold weather to me is anything less than 40 degrees.

      I guess the question would be how do you convince yourself to get on the treadmill? haha

      Delete
  2. I try to remember that once I get out there and warm up, I actually really enjoy running in the cold. Plus, then I feel SUPER accomplished after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You are so right. Usually my gloves and beanie are off in less than 10 minutes. I just gotta give myself a kick in the booty.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a runner, but even in the cold I'll walk to the gym! :) hahaha it was actually snowing today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very impressive! I actually use the gym during the winter months because I'm NOT good on slippery roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel better! Haha I'm horrible at walking/driving on ice and have fallen down way too many times.

      Delete