Sunday, March 18, 2012

More White Rice = Greater Risk of Diabetes

Sorry for the long hiatus. Work and visitors took priority these last few weeks! I'm starting back up again, short post for today but I'll get back into it.
So, I am not sure if you enjoy Chipotle like I do ... especially after a really hard workout. It isn't the healthiest, but if you order bowl instead of a burrito, and get rid of the sour cream and cheese, it isn't bad.

Yum.

That's why when they added brown rice to their menu (their attempt to make their food healthier) a few months ago I was pretty excited. I like white rice, but brown rice just tastes better to me.

Turns out, white rice does its damage, too. The more white rice you eat, the greater your risk of Type 2 diabetes, according to a new study. Because white rice has little nutrients, such as fiber, magnesium and vitamins, eating a lot of it may means not getting enough of those nutrients. The increase in risk for diabetes is pretty drastic, too. The study authors estimate that the risk increases by 10 percent with each additional 158g serving.

So looks like I actually prefer something that is better for me, for a change.

How about you - white or brown?

Do you love Chipotle as much as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment