Saturday, January 7, 2012

Candy to Prevent Cavities?

Nope. But the headline of a news article today made me think so.
The dried root of a licorice plant may help prevent and treat tooth decay and gum disease, according to a new study that I read about here, on WebMD's website. I couldn't find the actual study, which was published in the Journal of Natural Products.
Sounds exciting, considering how often I used a licorice straw to drink soda as a kid. But, unfortunately, the article quickly explains "not to rush to the candy aisle," as candy licorice is not actually made with licorice root.
So it turns out, as assumed, I probably shouldn't have been drinking soda, or using a licorice straw. But it is interesting how a new plant root could help us keep from wearing dentures in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment