Saturday, February 18, 2012

Working Out at 20 Means Strong Bones at 60

There is something to say about developing a healthy lifestyle when you are young. A new study conducted by the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden found that people who exercised often when they were between the age of 19 and 24 had stronger bones and less fractures later in life.

(I thought I should note that this group came to this finding after studying 800 or so Swedish men, so it may not directly apply.)

I think about my workout habits often, and if they will continue as I get older and get more responsibilities (and a slower metabolism). I definitely go through phases. In the last year, I have probably worked out an average of 3-5 times a week. Before I left AZ, I was probably working out 6-7 times a week. I’m busier out here, and I’ve failed to set goals for myself like half marathons or 5Ks.

I’m hoping that by developing a habit of working out when I’m young, it will help me continue to work out when am older.

I may have an advantage because I really do like running (and hiking and biking) …
IMG_1655
At Old Rag Mountain in Va.

So it is more of a hobby for me than a chore.

But, I know that it is easy to get lazy and just stop working out altogether. I’m hoping that I can always convince myself how important it is.

How much do you believe that exercising now will help later?
Are there activities that you think you could never give up?
 
More health news …
Pregnant women work out more if they care for a dog
No more jumbo Snickers ... Mars candy reduces candy sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment